Have you narrowed down your internship hunt to internships abroad in London? Nice choice. Not only is London the biggest city in Europe, but it’s also a major hub for work in just about any industry you can think of. Additionally, there are ample opportunities for interns at all levels in their college education to find meaningful work to teach them the skills they need after graduation.
Students looking for internships in the entertainment industry, within business, or in government will benefit the most from internships abroad in London. With all of that said, it’s also important to note that London is a notoriously expensive place to live, so interning in this great city needs specific and careful planning.
In this guide, you’ll see the pros and cons of interning in London. We’ll also explain further about where you’ll find the best internships in the same city as Big Ben.
Pros and Cons of Internships Abroad in London
London is an incredible city full of people of diverse cultures and incredible new and old architecture. There are certainly ample benefits that come with internships abroad in London. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t any drawbacks to living and working here. Before making a concrete decision, it’s best to make sure you cover all of your bases, both good and bad.
- There are plenty of opportunities. London is a major city, which means there are plenty of places to find a good internship. From interning in government to lending a hand at small law firms or non-profits, interns have no shortage of work.
- Internships are available year-round. While London is a hotspot for tourists, it isn’t a seasonal country. Because of that, you shouldn’t have much trouble finding an opportunity at any time of year.
- You can get help finding housing. There are several programs available to students abroad that help with finding approved housing while you live and work in the city.
- It’s a great environment for those who enjoy the hustle and bustle. As a busy city full of young and old professionals, London is a great place for students who want to live a fast-paced lifestyle.
- The cost of living is high. Living in London is much more expensive than living in a suburb on the outskirts of the city. If you need to save money, you may want to look into finding an apartment or flat outside of the city limits.
- Business culture is more uptight. While working, it’s important to be as formal as possible, especially when you first start out.
Where to Find Internships Abroad in London
While there are ample opportunities for internships in just about any career field in London, your best bet is within the entertainment, business, and government sectors. With that said, these industries are generally very competitive in London, so it’s helpful to work with a third party to try and get in somewhere.
Entertainment in London is very diverse. Whether you want to work in tv and film or live theater productions, there’s likely somewhere for you. This industry also includes those interested in fashion design and other high-end industries.
Business and Government
Business is another pretty broad sector. In London, you may find yourself somewhere that specializes in international business, research, or management, to name a few. On the other hand, the government is a central part of London as it’s the UK’s central spot. As a governmental intern, you may find yourself working as an assistant to someone in the Houses of Parliament or assisting with various research projects in the field.
Internships Abroad in London: Parting Thoughts
Despite the elevated living costs in London, an internship abroad in this English city comes with a plethora of benefits. Whether you want to get into politics or business, you can benefit greatly from pursuing an internship abroad in London.
Regardless of what you choose, we hope we’ve been helpful in your decision-making process.